Art Basel 2023 is coming! In Basel, Switzerland, for its 2023 edition, Art Basel will bring together 285 top international galleries to exhibit the finest works of art in all media, from painting and sculpture to photography and digital works, by artists ranging from pioneers of early 20th-century Modernism to present-day practitioners. New and returning exhibitors from all around the world will join a strong lineup of galleries from across Europe.
Three galleries—blank projects from Cape Town, Empty Gallery from Hong Kong, and Offer Waterman from London—will debut at the major Galleries sector of the Basel edition of Art Basel in 2023, making up 21 of the event’s first-time participants. 18 galleries will participate in the fair’s Feature and Statements areas for the first time.
Art Basel 2023 | World’s Leading Galleries
First-time exhibitors in Feature:
• acb (Budapest)
• David Castillo (Miami)
• Thomas Erben Gallery (New York)
• Gajah Gallery (Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Singapore)
• M77 Gallery (Milan)
• Martos Gallery (New York)
• Jacky Strenz (Frankfurt)
• Galerie Bene Taschen (Cologne)
First-time exhibitors in Statements:
• Broadway (New York)
• Cooper Cole (Toronto)
• Gaga (Mexico City and Los Angeles)
• Hua International (Beijing and Berlin)
• Jhaveri Contemporary (Mumbai)
• LC Queisser (Tbilisi)
• Kendra Jayne Patrick (Bern and New York)
• sans titre (Paris)
• SMAC Art Gallery (Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Stellenbosch)
• Soft Opening (London)
Art Basel 2023 | Messeplatz
On the city’s Messeplatz, Art Basel will also include a site-specific presentation by Moroccan-born Swiss artist Latifa Echakhch, organized by Samuel Leuenberger, curator of Parcours, Art Basel’s sector for site-specific works. Echakhch, who represented Switzerland at the 59th Venice Biennale in 2022, has a history of using deconstructed stages, which are a metaphor for ruin and catastrophe, to reveal the potential and optimism hidden inside them. The fair will host compelling presentations across its special sectors:
• Curated by Giovanni Carmine, Director of the Kunst Halle Sankt Gallen, Unlimited will feature around 70 large-scale installations and performances that transcend the dimensions of a traditional art fair booth.
• Curated by Samuel Leuenberger, founder of the non-profit exhibition spaces SALTS in Birsfelden and Country SALTS in Bennwil, Parcours will showcase about 20 site-specific installations around the Münsterplatz and the city center of Basel.
• Ushering in a new show layout, the Feature sector will now focus uniquely on art-historical projects.
• The Kabinett sector – a mainstay section at Art Basel’s shows in Hong Kong and Miami Beach – will be introduced in the Basel edition for the first time, presenting exhibitors the opportunity to showcase concisely curated installations within their main booths.
Art Basel 2023 | Noah Horowitz
Art Basel’s CEO, Noah Horowitz, says: ‘I am incredibly excited to welcome the international art community to Basel in June for another premier edition of our show and my first as the organization’s CEO. Ranging from bold contemporary positions to rare presentations by 20th-century icons, our Basel fair will once again reaffirm its pre-eminent position as a platform for discovery and encounters that drive the art world. The extraordinary breadth and quality of material within the halls will be accompanied by vibrant programming throughout the city and across its leading cultural institutions, underlining Basel’s singular appeal and the show’s resonance at the heart of the global arts agenda.’